Since I returned from Peace Corps in 2013, I have worked as the manager of programs and operations for a statewide women’s microloan fund and as a senior analyst and evaluator for a small consulting firm, and while I found the work rewarding in some ways, I was not finding my true purpose. I recently quit the 9 to 5 grind and launched a grants management and program evaluation consulting business.
It has been personally and professionally rewarding to raise funds for programs providing hands-on technology education and scholarships for young women. I had an opportunity to see the impact of the programs when I attended a scholarship reception and two summer technology camps.
I met some of the 20+ scholarship recipients. These amazing young women, some of whom already run their own business, are earning degrees in computer science, software engineering, computer information systems, digital forensics, and graphic design at universities throughout Michigan, and they still make time for service and advocacy activities! The middle-school girls attending the summer camps were having a ball designing websites about unicorns, pugs, slumber parties, Harry Potter, and more.
I have also enjoyed supporting the evaluation efforts of programs providing support to high-growth women-owned businesses, entrepreneurship training for youth, and microloans for underserved entrepreneurs.
Services provided by Oswald Consulting
- Grant management, including tracking progress with each funder, building relationships with existing funders, and researching new funders to expand funding opportunities Increase program funding by researching and writing grant proposals
- Reporting metrics and program impact to funders and other stakeholders, including the board, staff, program partners, and the public
- Build staff capacity by assisting with evaluation plan, including identifying program goals and key evaluation questions
- Survey design and implementation, including online surveys, one-on-one interviews, and focus groups
- Data analysis, including tracking year over year trends, outcomes, and feedback to improve programs, using statistical analyses when appropriate
- Write evaluation reports to help inform stakeholders of program progress, success stories, and recommended improvements